Sunday, June 11, 2017

Orenstein, from Cinderella Ate My Daughter;  Douglas, from Enlightened Sexism






This week I’m going to be doing an extension post on one of my classmate's blogs her name is Lexi’s. Here is her post on this week’s two reading we read to create our posts.

In her post-Lexi argues, “from thinking about tv shows and movies, are we still heading on a progressive path, away from shows like "The Bachelor."  Are we watching these shows because we think they are funny because people actually act this way or are we using these shows as a base for our lives?”

I agree with what Lexi’s argues, as while as Orenstein, from Cinderella Ate My Daughter. These shows teach teenage girls that getting men to look at you involves dressing up, putting makeup on, and most of all show men that you are better than other women by doing things to impress the men.
When Lexi brought up the point from the other article about

Douglas, from Enlightened Sexism

 She stated that “Douglas continues to discuss how media influences the population. Many shows specifically on MTV (reality love shows) focuses less on the finding love aspect but on the competition between young women, emphasizing on verbal and physical fights, berating other women, and competing for the man.”

I feel like this is true based on everything we have seen on MTV as Lexi has stated. Also, I think it shows us how love should be or even how to get someone to love you for all the makeup or even what girls or women are wearing. It comes back to discourse and how the five stages is a huge influence on teen girls. They want to become into women that they might think is pretty for other people but not themselves. When Lexi wrote about what Douglas argues it gave me that light bulb that turned on because it brought me back to the moment where my boyfriend’s sister went to prom and everyone started to notice her even the people she never talked to. These two readings made me connect with what Lexi’s has commented/questioned on her post, and it all came together.

Question: I wondered after reading these two articles and replying to Lexi’s comment/question, how many girls that are teens are influenced by their looks to impress men? Even more, so does these TV shows relevant to teens by watching what they are wearing?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for commenting on my post! I like how you pointed out that discourse influences young girls. To answer your questions; I say yes! I remember watching Hannah Montana as a young girl and I would start to dress like her, talk and act like her!

    ReplyDelete

Talks about Locker Rooms

Where the Boys Are:  Teenage Masculinity   Alexis Jones: Locker Room Talk --  Says Who?                                           ...