Sunday, May 21, 2017

Bogad, “Framing Youth”



REFLECTION

--------

When I was reading “Framing Youth” by Bogad. I start to reflect when I was a teenager in high school I felt like I experienced many things that I have thought about when reading this. The one thing that stuck out so far that I can connect to my teenager life is, “We come to know youth as incomplete, in-transition, finding themselves, hormone-driven, emotional, inexperienced, and always in opposition to the adults in their lives” (pg. 1). This quote that was in the begin is a huge representation of myself completely. When I was in high school, I was going through multiple experiences like; transitioning to high school, trying to find who I am and who I was. Most of all I was involved in my parents’ divorce when I was a junior. I felt emotional, hormone -driven and incomplete when this timing was happening.  I feel like Bogad wanted her readers to understand, “Any “truth” to the experience of adolescence” (pg. 10) I feel like the overall theme is adolescence. This connects to my life a lot because of the “truth” to experience adolescence. When I told what my parents and other people experienced when they were teenagers. The fact is we experience everything differently, even when I was a teenager I experienced the emotional side of things, but I grew up mentally and acting more like I was in my twenties taking care of stuff I thought I wasn't supposed to do as a teen.  

A video I love is called "Changing the World, One Word at a Time!" I’m going to be showing this tomorrow in class for my media artifact, so if you guys want to get a head start on what you think about it go ahead. This video connects with a lot of text we are talking about in our classes and how teenagers are represented.
My question for this post is; why do people expect teenagers to act the same way they did when they were teenagers? What I mean by that is a lot of people say when I was a teenager I never did that or back when I was a teen I wasn’t able to do this or was able to this. It’s like people are comparing teenagers to themselves when they shouldn’t.


4 comments:

  1. Emily, I totally agree with everything you said, especially about adults thinking teens are the same they were when they were that age. Times are always changing, and no two experiences are the same, but I think we forget this sometimes.

    And to answer your question on my post: Yeah, it was difficult for me to go back and think about my teen years. It made me uncomfortable. I even went and looked through my old Facebook, but I had to stop. It actually felt painful.

    Great post, Emily. Glad you agreed with mine, too.

    -Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I agree with your post as well. The quote you explained above, mentioning teenagers as “hormone driven” is the very ways they are labeled and this exists through generations. Parents have very high expectations for teenagers, and to think every teenager is the same is definitely a false statement. Every teen has different experiences, and for parents to rely on the beliefs they have based on their own experiences from teenage years, will only harm their child who is a part of another generation. Things change, and I think teenagers should have a voice in society to explain their “reality” their real experiences. Great post!

    - Leena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily, I agreed with your post! When you explained about how teenagers experience things differently than what their parents expect of them. I can relate to you when you mentioned that as a teenager you were trying to find your identity. However, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I think one common theme about being a teenager is the feeling of "no one feels the same as you" or "no one will understand". Then once you start opening up to your friends you realize you're not as along as it may seem. Also, everyone does experience being a teenager differently. There aren't just five emotions that teenagers feel all the time. But that is what society and most adults think of teenagers. They are hormone driven, crazy, emotional, unstable, and dangerous.

    ReplyDelete

Talks about Locker Rooms

Where the Boys Are:  Teenage Masculinity   Alexis Jones: Locker Room Talk --  Says Who?                                           ...