Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Croteau, “Media and Ideology”



Today I will be talking about a text that I read, and how I’m going to express my thoughts about how David Croteau has written Media and Ideology.                                                      

What I saw first when I was reading this article is, “An ideology is basically a system of meaning that helps define and explain the world and that makes value judgments about that world. Ideology is related to concepts such as worldview, belief system, and values……” (pg. 159-160). This quote is what David wants to start off with by explaining what ideology is and how we examine media as its own ideology. Also, how media, is being used in a different way like world views, values and etc... this is a huge part of ideologies, and why David wanted to make an understanding of what ideology is so, he can explain why media is connected to it.

The next quote I came across is, “…Different ideological perspectives, representing different interests with unequal power, engage in a kind of struggle within media text” (pg. 161). When I read this, I feel like the meaning was people have different understandings for various areas that cause a struggle to solve the problem. This quote is relevant because many individuals think media doesn’t portray reality. This shows one of the areas that media reflects on real life with a twist like NESN or even E-News.

The last quote I felt that stood out was, “… The fear is that media images normalize specific social relations, making certain ways of behaving seem unexceptional. If media texts can normalize behaviors, they can also set limits on the range of acceptable ideas. The ideological work lies in the pattern within media text” (pg. 163). This means that there are unacceptable behaviors because social relations are falsifying the actual meaning of the way media is portrayed. Also, how media is influenced by ideological and missing the realistic meaning behind the message that are in media images.

One question I had after reading this article is why does the media make up stories that aren’t true or even more so is twisting the facts?

When I am looking on social media or watching TV about the News or E News, I also ask myself is it entirely real or is some parts made up. Also, I feel like my boyfriend’s parents always believe everything that’s on the TV because that is what it just easier or that is the norm of believing what’s being said. I feel like media has a huge part on portraying messages that can be flipped and make people think that it is true based on what they are used to watching, listening to, or looking on the internet.
              
The most helpful thing with writing for style/grammar is grammarly.
You might want to check it out!

2 comments:

  1. I completely get what you're saying, Emily. And I feel like the media makes up things just because they're interesting, and people like interesting. The more sensationalized something is, the more people are inclined to watch.

    -Bristol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you Emily, when watching media I always have that thought of whether what I'm seeing is real or made up. I think more than television shows, the News does have a huge influence on individuals seeking information. The president is another example of someone who has power to influence people by simply expressing views via media.

    ReplyDelete

Talks about Locker Rooms

Where the Boys Are:  Teenage Masculinity   Alexis Jones: Locker Room Talk --  Says Who?                                           ...